Wednesday 28 August 2013

My Sanctum

Ye lo madam, aapka tayyar hai”, sounds better than “I love you, will you marry me”, especially when what’s on the platter is scrumptious and flavorsome chicken tikka. The tangy yet spicy mint chutney, creates a romance that’s oh- so spicy, in every sense!
                There’s no space to sit. I’m standing outside the Jai Jawan outlet, exclusively at Linking Road, Bandra. There have been at least a dozen men, walking around me and trying their best to sell a bag, accessories, perfumes and what not. I am focused. None of these sales gimmicks are going to work on me. I am hypnotized by the sinful aroma rising from the tandoor.  The commotion is neglected by now. All I can imagine, see, breathe or even feel… is food.
                Beyond all the drama and the impatient waiting, my steel plate arrived. The chicken was my prize for the persistent bargaining. All my little black and green plastic bags from the shopping were stuffed into my backpack, after all… who’s got the time to hold anything in the hand when the chicken tikka on your plate is screaming out to you for eating it!
                The ambience, the presentation and all that jazz didn’t matter, for the small variety of, yet brilliantly cooked meat, just melts in the mouth, slipping you in a state of trace. 100% customer satisfaction when it comes to hygiene at that little shack. The turban clad men, always smiling make your order feel like their top most priority. Being addressed as ‘betaji’ takes you a step further into the sigree of Punjab! The pav is twisted and torn, blanketed around a juicy piece of chicken, dipped generously into the chutney… chewed and savored like there’s nothing I’ve ever eaten. I sip my thumbs up… burping with a smile that feels like I’ve attained nirvana. I kiss my fingertips, still smiling. For I believe I found my sanctum today.

No comments:

Post a Comment